Thursday, March 12, 2009

Something to keep you occupied

So I wrote this long poem while I was camping down in the Sonoran Desert basically comparing my experience in Arizona to a saguaro cactus, but the notepad I wrote it on has gone missing and has yet to turn up, so we'll have to make due with more of the same boring old journaling for now. Hope you don't mind too much....

Day 2 in Prescott.... let's see how much I can remember... it feels like so long ago! I remember Reuben and Jourdie were going to go pick up their chickens for the chicken coop that morning, but the people they were going to get them from sent them an email or text or something a bit before to inform them that the chickens had been killed by a coyote the night before, so in a fit of frustration they decided to drive out to Phoenix to buy some chickens from this guy on craigslist. I spent most of the day just trekking around town and checking out the sights. I visited downtown Prescott (everybody's hometown), checked out the arts district, visited the local info shop (complete with community kitchen, free box, and some lady complaining about water politics), got some lunch at the local greasy spoon, hiked down the creek, picked up some gatorade and more minutes for my phone. In some ways less eventful so far than my first evening in town, but fun, informative and enlightening at the same time. Did you know that if you pull bananas apart from each other when you get home from the grocery store they won't ripen as fast? Also, if you peel from the other end of the banana you don't have to deal with all those stringy things that come off! Interesting stuff!

So I came back from my little walk and chilled for a bit before Reuben and Jourdie got back, then we finished building the coop, put some posts in the ground for the fence and chucked the chickens into their new home. Jourdie made some food for a potluck dinner we went out to after we were finished working. The potluck dinner was more of a party with food, and all they had to eat with were chopsticks, so that's what I used. Ever try eating a pound cake with chopsticks? Not easy!

Made some new friends, chatted it up with an old guy (the dad of one of the guys at the party, tagging along for fun) who apparently went to Michigan back in the 60s (but after my dad had graduated, unfortunately), drank some Jaeger, listened to some MJ and generally had a merry ol' time.

I like these small towns with small colleges. It feels like everyone in my age group knows each other and lives really close to each other too. It was pretty wild going into the InfoShop and finding out that the volunteer working the desk was a friend of Reuben's, then going to the party in the evening and finding all these new people (and a couple familiar ones) who all seemed to know everyone else that went to school with them. I'll bet it makes for some interesting dramas at times.....

The morning of day 3, before I left for Phoenix, I met up with an old family friend and got some breakfast (at the same greasy spoon I went to for lunch the previous day, nonetheless. Small town, right?) and chatted about life, the world, the future, and all that big heavy stuff. It was quite a nice morning. I then headed out to Phoenix, but about 45 minutes into my trek I realized I had forgotten my pillow! Tucked inside the pillow was Geronimo, my stuffed giraffe of significant personal value (yes, I sleep with a stuffed giraffe), so I had to turn around. It's all good though, I had left a couple hours earlier than I was originally planning anyways, so I ended up arriving in Phoenix about when I said I would. Not bad, right?

I was welcomed into Phoenix with open arms by my aunt Pam, which was a great feeling, as being with relatives always is. This was especially poignant this time because I hadn't seen Pam since I was really little, and to be honest I really didn't even remember what she looked like! But when I saw her answer the door it all came back to me and I began to remember bits of memories from my first time in Phoenix (I must've been 6 or 7 at the time), beyond the large-breasted lady in Old Tuscon who danced with me (the visceral experience of having my head stuffed within her busom being the only part of that memory that stuck). We ate spaghetti and caught up that night, and I got to sleep in a real, very comfy bed for once. It was awesome.

Last thought for today, Pam's dogs: Bakhi and Gizmo. Both dogs were gifts for other people from Pam, and they both ended up back in her home through strange coincidences and long stories. Both little toy doggies, Bakhi was the energetic, needy and emotional one, light tan with shaggy hair and floppy ears. He was cute, yes, but I personally preferred Gizmo, the "regulator," as I liked to call him. Gizmo was a dark ash grey color, short hair (except on the head) and shorter ears, and a much more confident stride to his step, as if he knew he was the Boss. Bakhi would try to mess with Gizmo and he would just stand there and ignore him, it was hilarious. They were the cutest dogs too, I can't believe I didn't get a good picture of them! Oh well, c'est la vie.

Ok, next post I will talk about my week in Phoenix and the desert, then we'll be almost caught up! Until then, my friends..

1 comment:

kiisu said...

hey Travis

this is Keith (couchsurfing) saw that you were on this trip and blogging last week so I've been following it since. Just wanna say keep up the great writing, it's very informative and detailed writing, more work than I ever put into my own blog. Especially love the tidbits of info, e.g. banana lessons. Have fun and stay safe out there in desert country.